The Colorado Lawyers Committee 2014 Awards Luncheon was held on May 20, 2014 at the Marriott Denver City Center in Denver, Colorado.
This year’s keynote speaker was Spencer Overton, a nationally recognized expert on voting rights and Interim President and CEO of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. Mr. Overton also is a Professor of Law at The George Washington University Law School. He previously served in the Department of Justice, as Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Legal Policy, where he played a key role in policies related to the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act, the National Voter Registration Act, and the Voting Rights Act.
Another highlight of the luncheon was the presentation of awards to honor individuals and organizations who have contributed significantly to the Colorado Lawyers Committee in 2014:
J. William Callison (Faegre Baker Daniels LLP) received the Outstanding Sustained Contribution Award for his longstanding support and his extensive contributions to the work of the Colorado Lawyers Committee.
Four law firms have been nominated for Law Firm of the Year:
- Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Sherman & Howard L.L.C.
- Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
The Board of Directors selected Patton Boggs LLP as the recipient of the Law Firm of the Year Award.
- Aaron A. Boschee (Patton Boggs LLP), for his skilled and continued oversight of the Taylor Ranch Litigation (Lobato v. Taylor)
- Susan C. Cole (Arnold & Porter LLP), for her commitment and leadership in the ongoing operations of Denver Legal Night and Project Homeless Connect
- Peter H. Schwartz (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP), for his exceptional leadership of the Nonprofit Working Group and Clinic in a Box
- Cole A. Wist (Holland & Hart LLP), for his dedication to the rights of individuals with disabilities as Chair of the Medicaid HCBS/SLS Task Force as well as his work to improve the public school system through the Education Task Force
The recipient of the Individual of the Year Award was Susan C. Cole (Arnold & Porter LLP).
The Colorado Lawyers Committee also presented a Community Contribution Award to Geoffrey C. Klingsporn (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP), Alex C. Myers (Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP), and Shelley Wittevrongel (Shelley Wittevrongel, Attorney at Law, PC) for protecting the rights of voters in Center, Colorado.
Congratulations to all of our honorees and award recipients!
Please click here for video and photos from the event.