The Colorado Lawyers Committee 2012 Awards Celebration was held on May 21, 2012 at the Marriott City Center in Denver, Colorado.
Please click here for photos and video of the event.
This year’s keynote speaker was Professor John C. Brittain, a long-time civil rights activist, whose far reaching work includes landmark school desegregation cases heard before the U.S. and Connecticut Supreme Courts. Brittain is the former Chief Counsel and Senior Deputy Director for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. He is a long-time scholar, having served on the faculty of University of Connecticut School of Law for 22 years before being named Dean of the Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University. Brittain is now a tenured professor of law at the University of the District of Columbia, David A. Clarke School of Law.
One of the highlights of the luncheon was the presentation of a number of awards to honor the individuals and organizations who contributed significantly to the Colorado Lawyers Committee during 2011:
Lawrence W. Treece (Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP) received the Outstanding Sustained Contribution Award for his longstanding support and his extensive contributions to the work of the Colorado Lawyers Committee.
Four law firms were nominated for Law Firm of the Year:
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
The Board of Directors of the Colorado Lawyers Committee selected Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP as the recipient of the Law Firm of the Year Award.
The Lawyers Committee presented a Team of the Year Award to the Lobato Litigation Team to honor the 72 individuals who volunteered on Lobato v. State of Colorado in 2011, a case that challenges the failure of Colorado’s school financing system to provide a ‘thorough and uniform’ system of public education as required by Colorado’s Constitution. The award specifically recognized the 33 volunteers who donated at least 40 hours on this case last year. Honorees included:
- Kathleen J. Gebhardt, Attorney (Kathleen J. Gebhardt, L.L.C.)
- Alexander Halpern, Attorney (Alexander Halpern LLC)
- Kenzo S. Kawanabe, Attorney (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Katherine P. Bell, Paralegal (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Kathleen Benegar, Paralegal (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Jennifer Weiser Bezoza, Attorney (Children’s Voices)
- Jennifer Bulmer, Paralegal (Reilly Pozner LLP)
- Christopher L. Colclasure, Attorney (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Jess A. Dance, Attorney (Perkins Coie LLP)
- Joseph Daniels, Attorney (Sherman & Howard L.L.C. [formerly Faegre Baker Daniels LLP])
- Lisa A. Decker, Attorney (WPX Energy, Inc. [formerly Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.])
- Jo Denious, Paralegal (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Rebecca J. Dunaway, Attorney (formerly Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Ryann Fogel, Attorney (McConnell Fleischner Houghtaling LLC [formerly Reilly Pozner LLP])
- Zane Gilmer, Attorney (Perkins Coie LLP)
- Elizabeth Howard, Attorney (The Harris Law Firm P.C.)
- Geoffrey Klingsporn, Attorney (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Ellie Lockwood, Attorney (Reilly Pozner LLP)
- Kyle Loving, Visual Production Specialist (Reilly Pozner LLP)
- Brooke H. McCarthy, Attorney (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Terry R. Miller, Attorney (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Donna Munyer, Paralegal (Patton Boggs LLP [formerly Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.])
- Kimberley D. Neilio, Attorney (Comcast Cable [formerly Greenberg Traurig, LLP])
- Cristine Pajarillo, Paralegal (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Colin P. Pitet, Computer Support Technician (Reilly Pozner LLP)
- Clarissa M. Raney, Attorney (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Daniel P. Spivey, Attorney (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Kyle C. Velte, Attorney (University of Denver Sturm College of Law [formerly Reilly Pozner LLP])
- Natalie West, Attorney (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Mark B. Wiletsky, Attorney (Holland & Hart LLP)
- Susan Williams, Paralegal (Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP)
- Jessica Yates, Attorney (Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.)
- Alyssa K. Yatsko, Attorney (Holland & Hart LLP)
The Colorado Lawyers Committee also presented Special Recognition Awards to the Colorado Center on Law and Policy and Colorado Legal Services for their significant work on Colorado Lawyers Committee Task Forces.
Congratulations to all of our honorees and award recipients!